The engineers at PrimaLuna’s headquarters in The Netherlands had a real challenge. To improve on the ProLogue Four and Five, they incorporated many of the ground-breaking features from the more advanced DiaLogue Series. The next generation ProLogue Premium Series, is an engineering marvel — a single, power amplifier that sets a new benchmark in high-performance audio with the following features:
- Primaluna’s exclusive Adaptive AutoBias. Bias is very important, and before you buy anything you need the click that link (it’s in red) to learn the basics. If anybody tells you that they have auto bias, ask them precisely how. It’s 99% likely to be untrue. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again, and the need for matched tubes is eliminated. You can run EL34, KT88, KT120, even KT150 tubes, as well as many others. AAB does the rest while improving sound quality. Tubes are constantly monitored and kept in their best operating range, reducing distortion by up to 50%!
- Custom wide bandwidth output transformers No other brand can copy the PrimaLuna sound for one simple reason: PrimaLuna output transformers. Almost every manufacturer buys their output transformers off the shelf; with varying degrees of success. Transformers are the most important (and most expensive) ingredient in making an amplifier. Our output transformers are custom wound in-house. The designs are the result of collaboration between engineers in the Netherlands and the United States, and built to the same standards that you come to expect from the world’s authority on tube amplifier manufacturing.
That’s why PrimaLuna bass extension is deep and tight, the top end extended but without even a hint of grain, and that famous PrimaLuna midrange, which creates a sense of space and shape you won’t get anywhere else.
- KT150 Compatible and designed for the future – In 2006 PrimaLuna introduced the original DiaLogue series; the first amplifiers designed to be as close to being future proof as humanly possible. Back then nobody imagined a tube like the KT120, let alone the KT150, which combines the sweetness of a 300B with bass and control never seen before. Now other companies are scrambling to make a product built to handle the demands of this incredible tube.
All PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium and ProLogue Premium amplifiers and integrated amplifiers are built with huge power transformers and filaments supplies needed to run KT150 tubes. And the ingenious design of our exclusive Adaptive AutoBias circuit means that PrimaLuna buyers from ten years ago don’t have to sell off their system to enjoy new tube developments.
No planned obsolesce. Isn’t that a refreshing concept? And while we can’t guarantee being future-proof, we seem to have done a good job thus far.
- Zero negative feedback – as with the ProLogue Series power amplifiers, the ProLogue Premium Power Amplifier uses a zero negative feedback topology for greater tonality and better overall musicality.
- SmartWatts design with a tube life of up to ten years. When you buy any tube product, you need to think about the operational costs to own it. Many brands quote changing power tubes after 2000 hours. Not PrimaLuna. If an amp runs the tubes hard, its sound quality can start to degrade in 9 months and need to be re-tubed in a year. What’s fun about that? Understanding tube life is easy when you understand this.
- Panel mounted ceramic tube sockets and rear jacks. Some brands will mount tube sockets or hook up jacks to a printed circuit board. As the product ages, these boards can crack by simply changing tubes or cables. All PrimaLuna products mount ceramic tube sockets to a stand off, and the rear panel jacks are secured directly the the chassis.
- Point to point wiring and premium parts. The ProLogue Premium is a work of art with internal construction you won’t find elsewhere. It takes more time to build, and is assembled buy artisans, but it is built to last a lifetime. We beautiful smooth midrange use Solen capacitors made in France and for great bass large Nichicon capacitors.
Next, the ProLogue Premium Series introduces four innovative circuits that protect the amp at every level:
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for “Bad Tube Indicator.” On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. The circuit then puts the amp into protection mode. With other brands, this may be when you have to break out the soldering iron to replace a plate resistor, and replace two or four tubes because your amp requires matched sets. With PrimaLuna, you just replace the tube it tells you to (no matched tubes required), and turn the amp back on. No hassles, no headaches.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this “Power Transformer Protection” circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The “Output Transformer Protection” circuit protects the output transformers in the event of a massive tube failure or user error.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
|Output: 35 watts x 2 EL34, 40 watts x 2 KT88|
|Freq. Response: 20Hz-85kHz +/- 0.5dB|
|THD: Less than 1% at full power|
|S/N Ratio: 89 dB|
|Input Sensitivity: 775mV|
|Power Consumption: 210 watts|
|Dimensions: 14.5 ” x 8″ x 15.5″ (WxHxD)|
|Weight: 46.3 lbs|
|Inputs: 1 pair RCA|
|Outputs: 4 and 8 Ohm speaker taps|
|Standard Tube Compliment: 4 – 12AU7, 4 – EL34|